Sunday, June 29, 2014

What is your dream?

Today Bro. Brad preached on a familiar passage.  I'd heard it a hundred times.  Today I heard it again and in the context of what we studied this morning in Sunday School- I saw this story again with new eyes.

The passage was Mark 10:17. It is the story of the Rich Young Ruler.  I'll paste it in and tell you how I've always imagined it.  Then I'll tell you how God showed me something completely different. 

I borrowed this from www.biblegateway.com

The Rich and the Kingdom of God

17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

Misconception #1
Now, in my imagination Jesus and this rich young guy was at some social function.  Hanging out at somebody's backyard party.  I always think about it as a "cocktail party scenario" (I'm going to offend my Baptist friends, but hang with me.) perhaps he had invited the new preacher to come over to his place, sort of show out a bit.  After all, Jesus was the talk of the town.    I always imagine a lot of people milling around and this guy asks his question.  I've always made him out to be a bit of a self righteous kind of person.  I've always imagined him getting the attention of all his guests and then asking Jesus:  "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"

But then God showed me that my imagination had it all wrong.  Jesus was leaving town and this guy ran out to meet him.  He ran to Jesus!  He fell down on his knees in the middle of the road. 

He ran. 

I hate to run.  I'd only run if it were a matter of life and death.  I've done it before, on occasion, but never in robes.  Do you know how hard it is to run in robes?  Yeah, neither do I, but I've ran in a dress once and it wasn't fun. 

Also, it's undignified.  Robes are not made for running as I've discussed above, but here he comes; running to catch Jesus.  He's out in the middle of the dusty road where everyone can see him and if he's not degraded himself enough he falls down at his feet to ask Jesus: "“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]
20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

Then Jesus looks down and tells him: the only One that's good- is God.  So in effect if this guy was looking to have a good enough life, Jesus just told him he's out of luck.  
Then Jesus goes through the commandments with him. 
The kid tells him he's done all these things his whole life.  But something is lacking, obviously or he wouldn't be here in the dirt at Jesus' feet. 

Misconception #2

In my "cocktail party scenario" from above the rich young man tells him snootily.  "I've already done all of that stuff."  Then he looks down his nose at Jesus.  A challenge: "Do you think you're better than me, preacher? Look at all I've done."  Or perhaps he wants to show out a bit:  "Look at how good I am." 

But he's not.  He's down on his knees in the middle of the street begging Jesus.  He's done all these things but it's not enough.  He's not secure. 


21 (A) Jesus looked at him and loved him.
Misconception #3
In my "cocktail party" idea Jesus glared at him righteously and brought him down a peg or two with his next statement. 

But Jesus didn't do that at all.  He looked at him, and loved him. 
This guy wasn't showing out or being haughty as I'd let myself believe.  He was sincere.   If he was being a hypocrite Jesus would have called him out on it.  Jesus wasn't afraid to call things as he saw them.   But it says He loved him. 


21 (B) "One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”
 
Misconception #4
If your rich, you don't go to Heaven.  I didn't grow up rich, and having been raised without a lot of money has colored my perception about this passage.  Up until a certain age I thought rich people don't go to Heaven.  Then I figured: we don't have much money, we must be okay.  We get to go- you don't.  Nana nana boo-boo rich kids.  You may have a pool but I'm going to Heaven!
 
Misconception #5
I also thought it was a warning about becoming rich.  You shouldn't get too rich.  You'll forget God.  If you do get rich you better be careful.  Money ruins folks.  Money is the root of all evil.  

But that's not true at all. 
The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.  (Which is where my Sunday School lesson comes in.) 

Let's go back to verse 21 and look at it again. 
21 (B) "One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Today God spoke to me and said instead of "Go, sell everything you have..." insert "Go.  Stop what you've been doing.  Stop chasing that dream.  All those plans you've been making... just throw them to the wayside and follow me." 

OooOoohhh!  That's a bit harder to take.  Because God knows I've dreamed of a lot of things.  A swimming pool, a pony, a treehouse.  Then later I wanted a good job, a wonderful husband, children, a nice home.

I loved singing, art and theatre throughout my life but the one thing that I love most is writing.  I've always loved telling stories and I've always loved writing down ideas in notebooks.  It's my passion.  Sometimes I'd rather write than do anything. 

But it's not practical and I never stepped out on it until now.  I stuffed my desire for writing in a box under my bed for twenty years or so.  I never told anyone that I liked to write because I never studied that. I made decent grades in English class but I never was the best. Who am I to want to write?  Besides, writers and artists don't make any money till they're dead.  Who's got time for that? 

But I always, always dreamed about it.  I thought it was an impossibility until one day I was driving home.  I heard a guy on the radio telling about this book he wrote and I thought to myself: Lord, how great would that be?  I wish I could do something like that!  Then the Lord said back to me: One day you will, child.  

I've never told anyone that before.  

I tried to make excuses:  No, Lord.  Not me.  I can't write.  I haven't even taken a writing class in college. 

God was offended (As well He should  have been.) and said: Am I a man that I should lie?  Do you think I have nothing better to do than to give my children false hope?  If I say something is going to happen.  It is going to happen. 

Wow.  So that's my dream.  I'm stepping out on faith a little more now and at least I'm trying to use this gift God gave me. 

But anyway... Back to Verse 21.  What if God asked me today: "Leslie, stop writing.  Stop making up stories.   Throw all those notebooks away. Stop hoping for that bestseller.  Stop wasting time on all that.  Come on.  Follow me." 

Well that would be considerably harder for me to take.  Because I'd rather give up things.. money... time...whatever.  I'd rather give God any of those... I could sell my possessions to the poor...but try to take my notebook or my zip drive away... see what kind of a fight you have on your hands. 

So what's your dream?  To land that dream job?  To make that team?  To become a famous actor or musician? To have wealth?    What is it?  Is it a grand dream or is it a small one?  Is it to retire in a couple years?  Is it to live a simple life with your family? Is it to not be sick anymore? To find that person? To have a child? Not be lonely anymore? 

Whatever it is.  You know it.  So, what if, like the rich young ruler Jesus demanded that you give it up? 

"Don't play that sport.  Don't pursue that promotion.  Keep working past your retirement.  Stay in that place that you don't like very much, I need you there.  Give up your music.  Sell that house.  Forget your dream and follow me.  Make me your dream and come on." 

In 2011 Phil Vischer (The creator of Veggie Tales- or as my kids call him "Bob the Tomato's daddy") said at the Liberty University convocation that "anything you are not willing to let go of is an idol."  Wow.  

So, do I love God more than my dream?  Am I willing to put away my dream to follow Him?

It's the same question he asked the rich young ruler, and after today I understand a little better why he went away sad.  Because it's hard to give up your dream...whether it be selling all your possessions or putting away all your notebooks or giving up on that thing you've prayed about for so long.   

Our dreams are part of us.  Having a dream in itself is not a bad thing but like everything else in the believer's life they have to come under the Lordship of Jesus.

And that's hard. It's hard to hand over something you really, really want to the One who can make it happen or not.  I've struggled with it before, and I suppose I'll struggle with it again before it's all over.  I pray each day to make Him my dream, and make His dream for me- my dream as well.  I go back to Jeremiah 29:11-13 (11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.)  I  hold that verse to my heart when things in this life don't go like I planned and I hear Jesus whisper.  "I got this.  Make ME your dream and come, follow me.  Let me show you the plans I have for you!" 


 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Leslie. Good perspective.

    ReplyDelete